Visiting the Abbey
Open seven days a week:
- Monday, Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, Friday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: 12 noon to 4 p.m.
Opening hours are subject to additional services and recitals. To check opening hours contact the Parish Office.
Group Visits – contact the Parish Office for further information or to book a guided tour.
The Friends of Waltham Abbey Church Visitors’ Centre (situated in the Lady Chapel) is open throughout the day.
The following guides to the church are available to visitors to enhance and inform their visit:
- The Short Guide – a free, illustrated leaflet outlining the history of the church and drawing attention to the significant features.
- The Church Guidebook – includes a history of the Abbey Church and a walk around the interior with a floorplan and many photographs.
Both the Short Guide and the Church Guidebook are available from the welcome desk at the entrance to the church.
To Waltham Cross (1.2 miles) from London Liverpool Street, Hertford East and Cambridge. – Services run approximately every 30 minutes in each direction. For details, contact Greater Anglia.
Waltham Abbey is served by several bus routes – for information, refer to Travelline South East and Anglia. Use Find a Timetable and enter Waltham Abbey as the location.
M25 (junction 25/26) A121 – Waltham Abbey. The Abbey Church is in Highbridge Street (postcode EN9 1DG).
View Larger Map
Car parking is available outside the Abbey Church – free for two hours. Or park in the Cornmill car park behind the Dé Mango restaurant, or in the Abbey Gardens car park (accessible from the roundabout on the B194 at the junction of Abbey View and Crooked Mile).
The Abbey Church Centre
The Abbey Church Centre is situated in the middle of the beautiful Abbey gardens. It is the parish centre for the Abbey Church, comprising:
- the Parish Office, the administrative centre of the parish and, more recently, of the Benefice of Waltham Holy Cross, which comprises Waltham Abbey, along with St Lawrence, Ninefields, St Thomas’ Upshire and Holy Innocents High Beach; the Office is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.;
- the Olive Branch café, open for refreshment and fellowship on Wednesdays 10.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. (and, in the summer months, until 3.30 p.m. for afternoon teas) and on summer Saturday and Sunday afternoons;
- a hall accommodating up to eighty people, with its own adjoining kitchen;
- the Tallis Room, a small meeting room.
The Olive Branch, hall and Tallis Room are used for church events and by church organisations and may also be hired by organisations and individuals outside the church via the Parish Office.
The Centre was formally the Information Centre for the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority and the Authority’s Youth and Schools Service still leases two rooms on the first floor of the building for administrative purposes and hire the hall for their educational activities.
How to find the Abbey Church Centre
From the west door of the church (main entrance), take the small road to the right beside Henry Ward estate agents. At the end, continue on the footpath and bear to the left onto the service road. Follow this road to the right between the flats on your left and the river on your right. After a short distance, turn right to cross the bridge into the Abbey Gardens through the ruins of a gateway. Then go straight ahead following the path and taking the left branch. You will see the Abbey Church Centre ahead of you.