Waltham Abbey Organ Festival 2019-2020
A year-long festival to celebrate our organ, rebuilt by Mander Organs Ltd. Many of the events are free, but when required, tickets will be available on the door or from the Parish Office. Doors open 30 minutes before the start.
A Message from the Rector
- 28th September 2019 at 6.00 p.m.
- Inaugural recital by Abbey organist Jonathan Lilley, featuring a newly commissioned work by David Bednall in honour of Thomas Tallis. Free event.
- 29th September 2019 at 10.30 a.m.
- Service of Dedication by the Bishop of Chelmsford. Music to include Vierne Messe Solennelle.
- 2nd November 2019 at 4.00 p.m.
Festival Choir Evensong. Join the congregation for this ever-popular service.
Psalm 150 (Stanford chant)
Canticles: Stanford (in B flat)
Anthem: Haydn Insanae et Vanae Curae
- 5th February 2020 at 5 p.m.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The 1923 silent film starring Lon Chaney, with improvised organ accompaniment by Jonathan Lilley. Tickets, £10.
- 14th March 2020 at 7.30 p.m.
- Waltham Singers of Chelmsford with the Abbey Choristers and Laurence Williams, baritone. A concert of choral works including Vaughan Williams Five Mystical Songs.
- Saturday 2nd May 2020 at 7.30 p.m.
- Pictures at an Exhibition and other works arranged for brass and organ. A concert by Jonathan Lilley with Prime Brass of Cambridge conducted by Paul Trepte. Tickets, £10.
- 6th June 2020 at 5.30 p.m.
- Come and Sing favourite anthems, conducted by Jonathan Lilley. A chance for those who sing or have sung in a choir to join a rehearsal in the afternoon and sing a concert of favourite anthems. Free event.
- If you wish to sing, please contact the Parish Office stating your voice part. Rehearsal, 2.00 p.m.
- 26th September 2020 at 7.30 p.m.
- Last Night of the Festival Proms, featuring the Festival Chorus with organ and including some of the “Last Night” favourites. Tickets, £10.
Music for Lunch Recitals
Saturdays at 12.30 p.m. Free with a retiring collection.
We are delighted to present recitals by former Directors of Music at the Abbey (highlighted below in bold).
- 28th September 2019
- Francis Knights, Performer Scholar and early keyboard specialist at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. Music by former Abbey musician Thomas Tallis played on harpsichord and chamber organ.
- 5th October 2019
- Stuart Nicholson. Master of the Music, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin.
- 26th October 2019
- A10 Strings conducted by David Boarder with Jonathan Lilley (organ).
- 2nd November 2019
- Apollon Duo: Dora Chatzigeorgiou (violin) & Alexander Binns (organ).
- 30th November 2019
- Jonathan Lilley (organ). Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite.
- 1st February 2020
- Stephen Bullamore. Director of Music, St. Mary Magdalene, Newark-on-Trent.
- 7th March 2020
- Christopher Thomas. Director of Music, St. John the Baptist, Keynsham.
- 25th April 2020
- Musicians from the Royal College of Music.
- 16th May 2020
- Simon Thomas Jacobs. Concert organist; winner of 2013 St. Albans International Organ Festival and former Abbey Chorister.
- 20th June 2020
- Norman Rimmer. Director of Music, Holy Trinity, Llandudno.
- 25th July 2020
- Jamie Hitel. Director of Music, Christ Church, Greenwich, Connecticut, USA.
- 29th August 2020
- Margaret Outen. Director of Music, St. Mary, Stafford.
- 12th September 2020
- Helen Strange (soprano) with Jonathan Lilley (organ).
The above form part of our regular Music for Lunch recital series. Refer to What's On for details of other recitals.
Waltham Abbey Festival Choir
As a way of celebrating the rebuilt organ, we want to involve as many people as possible in the musical events in the festival. The Festival Choir will be an open invitation to anyone who would like to sing but perhaps cannot commit to all the services normally sung by the Abbey Choir. Similarly, joining the Festival Choir will not commit you to doing all the events; sing in as many as you wish. To provide the opportunity to sing alongside the existing choir and some of the older choristers, we will encourage members of the congregation to take part and people from outside who may have sung in the Abbey Church in the past to return.
If you are interested in singing please contact Jonathan Lilley (Director of Music).